As modern law enforcement emerged, several communities in Rhode Island created a Detective's Society.
The Town of Lincoln, however, chose to have a few constables who walked the beat, and two "jails" located at opposite ends of town. Given the times, this system worked relatively well. There was much less crime years back and with the assistance of the State Police, Lincoln rarely needed more law enforcement presence in the town.
However, times change...
A new direction
In 1953 under Chief William Right, twelve police officers were hired to form the first Lincoln Police Department.
Seen below: Deputy Chief Paul Gingras, Off. Alderic Peloquin, Off. William Yorkel, Off. Armand Brunette, Off. Robert Sullivan, Off. Richard Johansen, Off. Romeo Langtot, Off. William Linburner, Off. Edward Gorman, Off. George Dorian, Off. George Nickerson.
Originally, the Lincoln Police Department was located at 1572 Lonsdale Ave. and is now currently a daycare facility. There were no jail cells located in the police department at that time and officers had to transport prisoners to Central Falls to be detained.
Officers would "share" one police vehicle (seen above) and were also allowed to use the Deputy Chief's vehicle on weekends (also seen above).